Enforcement of Penal Sanctions Act
Unofficial consolidated version (ZIKS-1-NPB2)
EPA: 0031-V; Date: 4 November 2008
I. BODIES RESPONSIBLE FOR ENFORCEMENT OF PENAL SANCTIONS
Supervision of prisons
(1) Supervision of the legality of the treatment of convicts shall be exercised by the ministry responsible for justice and the president of the district court in whose territory the prison or its unit is located. An authorised official from the ministry responsible for justice or the president of the district court shall, at the request of convicts and without the presence of prison staff, interview convicts about the treatment they receive and about the exercise of their rights.
(2) If the ministry responsible for justice or the president of the district court referred to in the preceding paragraph establishes in the course of supervision that convicts’ rights have been violated, it shall take all the measures necessary to ensure the convicts’ rights.
(3) In accordance with the Human Rights Ombudsman Act and international legal acts, the human rights ombudsman and authorised bodies responsible for the protection of human rights and the prevention of torture, inhumane and degrading treatment or punishment shall also be allowed to exercise the supervision referred to in the first paragraph of this Article.
(4) Supervision of the education of convicts in prisons shall be exercised by the ministry responsible for education.
(5) Expert supervision and administrative supervision of the provision of health care services in prison shall be exercised in accordance with the law governing health care services.