Human Rights Ombudsman
since 1994 till 2000.
- 1982 - Graduated with a degree in mathematics from the University of Ljubljana.
- 1980 - 1990 - Employed in professional and management positions in various commercial companies.
- 1989 - Began political activities in the then newly-founded Slovene Christian Democratic Party (SKD). Performed a number of notable functions for the party; until being elected Human Rights Ombudsman was party vice-president.
- 1990 - Elected representative to the Chamber of Municipalities in the first democratic elections.
- 1990 - 1992 - President of the Chamber of Municipalities.
- 1990 - 1992 - Member of the constitutional committee of the Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia, which prepared the independence documents and the Constitution of the Republic of Slovenia.
- 1992 - Member of the parliamentary delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe.
- 1992 - Member of the parliamentary delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).
- 1992 - Candidate for President of the Republic. Finished second among eight candidates with 22 per cent of the vote.
- 1993 - 1994 (June) - Minister of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia.
- 1994 (September) - Elected first Human Rights Ombudsman of the Republic of Slovenia.
- 1995 - Elected to the board of the European Ombudsman Institute (EOI).
- 1996 - Elected vice-president of the EOI and member of the board of directors of the International Ombudsman Institute (IOI).
- 2000 (29 September) - His mandate in the role of the first Slovene Human Rights Ombudsman expired.